Well, the whole developer community will agree that without libraries our life would have been hell. But when it comes to using them, you have to customize the functionalities which the library gives you. I agree that the documentation with which a library comes is good. Still, using them will be an effort saving another effort. While developing VIT Slate, the greatest library that I came across is CardsLibrary [verify the name] by Gabriel. It was easy to customize but there were some libraries which literally gave me real pain !!!
2. Hardcoding: We just don’t hard code! Android comes in all shapes and sizes and that’s the reason never hard code any dimension for a UI element. I hard coded an image’s dimensions in VIT Slate and someone came and asked me why is this pic in team section so small. And I was saying to him, “Can you please move, I want to hit my head against the wall because I hard coded.”
3. Be updated: Now that android marshmallow is out, I must compile a latest version of VIT Slate and put it asap to the play store. Android app devs should be updated with whatever’s going on in the world of android. What’s new? And what’s deprecated? Must be kept in mind.
4. DESIGN: A well designed app has high chances of acceptance from users. It gets a good user rating and reviews. It should be seamless and should engage user such that the user visit the app again and again. If you are thinking design is how your UI looks then you still have to work upon your design thinking :) While developing Slate we’ve thought to keep design as simple as we can. Being simple is tough, isn’t it? The most challenging part was to decide the colors that we are going to use. Believe me it took us two whole days to reach at a combination of three colors to be kept as a basic theme for Slate.
5. Maintain your cool and be persistent: Developing an android app can be a tedious task. It involves hardwork. You need to be patient to put an elegant application on play store. Still your job isn’t over, even after your application reaches play store, real work starts then. Believe me there will be bugs, bugs you won’t even know were existing!
I must praise and admit my friend and the man behind VIT Slate, Kunal, had shown a high degree of enthusiasm to learn about programming world.
P.S: For being good at android app development, there are some more points which I feel are necessary. Be open to learn and adapt. Be ready to change and make changes. Good command at java and how to use stackoverflow will help. :P
Extract songs permanently in saavn android app(for non root user) Bad engineering
that leads to loss for saavn, the famous music streaming application on android
smartphones. I write this by assuming that saavn only allows you to
download in offline mode within application and you lose the songs if you
happen to lose the pro membership. Without pro membership, you can only stream
the songs but not save them in offline mode, means every time you must use your
valuable data. Whereas, by storing on sd card the songs will be permanently
available to you even if you uninstall app or you happen to lose the pro
membership which allows you to save songs in offline mode within saavn’s
android application. Now I exploit this bad engineering from saavn’s engineers
and tell you how can you extract songs from saavn’s offline mode to your sd
card. Note that this will violate the usage policy(I assume) and
you should not do this on android smartphones. I only provide this to show you,
how not to make …
Hello guys, this post will teach you how to add both Left and Right Navigation Drawers in your Android App. You may need one Nav Drawer on the right to give your users a different set of options, not to distract them from the main navigation items on the left.
I have used Android Studio 1.5.1 Build 141.2456560. So here we go.
1) Navigation Drawer Activity
When creating a New Project, choose Navigation Drawer Activity. This makes things easy.
If this option is not available, you can the simply choose Blank Activity and later make the project structure similar to Navigation Drawer Activity. See the layout files here.
If you run the app at this point, you will see the Left Nav Drawer.
2) Navigation Views
As you can see I have added 2 Navigation Views inside Drawer Layout...one for left-side and other for right-side. For the Right-side, add android:layout_gravity="end"
Other thing you will notice is app:menu.The easiest way to add menu items within the NavDrawer is t…
MS Dhoni, the heartthrob of Indian Cricket Team is one of the greatest player that ever represented India in cricket. Popularly called Captain Cool, Dhoni gave the Indian Cricket Team an all new name, game and fame. Not only the common masses but the best cricketers all over the world are a big fan of MSD, they love and admire him equally.
These amazing quotations from the greatest players of the world prove why he is the number one captain.
1. "Dhoni is a great leader by example. Someone whom I have always admired for his ability to remain balanced and have the sense of equanimity about his captaincy." - Rahul Dravid
2. "I would go to war by Dhoni by my side." - Gary Kirsten
3. "When I die, the last thing I want to see is the six that Dhoni hit in the 2011 World Cup Final." - Sunil Gavaskar 4. "He has the uniqueness to respond to a tough situation with ease. He does not involve himself emotionally and that's his equality. India are lucky to have a …